Friday, February 21, 2014

WIAT - Saint Valentine's Day Extravaganza

Ah, St. Valentine's Day. An interesting holiday, if ever there was one. People love to hate it, although I for one am inclined to agree with this Slate writer, who suggests that it is not all bad. A formal holiday with religious undertones to tell someone you love how much you love them? Why not. It works for Christmas.

Of course, the story of St. Valentine is not classically romantic, with all the torture and beheadings, although if you study saints, all the martyrs have a certain je ne sais quoi about them. Nevertheless, February 14 stands as a feast of love, rescued from the pagans, and here we are.

Reflecting on my online presence, I realized that "Killing and Grilling" is my most popular post here on Turriff Hall. Given that A. and I chose to spend St. Valentine's day in, rather than out, I though it a good opportunity to re-enact the courtship that was "Killing and Grilling", with less killing, and with the weather, less grilling.

First up, Cherry Tomato Bruschetta with Chevre. I've been leaning on crostini-like foods a lot lately. This could be Tamar Adler's fault.

The Components
The Result
More of the meal inside.

Carre de porc for the main course. I've discovered a nice little charcuterie/boucherie in my neighbourhood, and they supplied a fine specimen.

Frenched
Quebec carrots as a side.

It is possible that my Grandfather made this piggy board.
Cast iron
All put together.
Add heat...
Present...
And carve...
A few action shots.


 



A nice mushroom sauce for the pork.



 And all together now.


 With special thanks to my helper, whose job is basically to be where my feet need to be...

Thank you, Dancer
And, to finish, some dessert, which I wisely contracted out.


And, that, gentle reader, was our Saint Valentine's Day Extravaganza, where no one was beheaded.






No comments:

Post a Comment