Sunday, July 17, 2011

Killing and Grilling - A special edition of WIAT


Warning: Graphic photos ahead...

Ah, Summer. It's hot here on the island, no doubt about it. Not long ago, A. suggested we do something nice. I figured, "It's summer, lets grill something." It just so happens that I know she likes grilled corn, and an increasing awareness of lobster led me to choose it as an accompaniment to said corn.
Full disclosure: I am not the world's biggest fan of lobster. 
My family, on the other hand, loves it, and at least once a year, sometimes more, my uncle will arrive with a cooler full of 2-3 pound monsters.  When I was a young boy, this feast would most often take place at my Grandparent's house in Gaspe, with newspaper spread on the table, and carpenter's hammers to break the shells, and the lobsters straight from the wharf. Lobster juice everywhere. Good times.
Lobster has been on the radar. On a recent trip to Metis, my fatherland, A. and I shared a lobster roll. It was good, and, it was my first. I've had shrimp rolls, but never lobster. I hear there are some good ones here in the Old Port, but I haven't found them yet.
Anyway. Lobster on the brain, and I decide to grill one up, something I have never done before.
Serious Eats did a piece on lobster rolls the other day, which included a philosophical foray into the morality of killing lobsters.
I was comforted/encouraged by this, and I knew that A. has some experience killing lobsters in a professional kitchen. At worst, I figured she could walk me through it/take over if I panicked. Emboldened, I purchased two very nice specimens. And I killed them. With a knife. Fun times.
I later described the experience to my mother (who hung up on me when I had told her my plans the day before; my uncle buys his lobster pre-cooked, clearly) as grim.
Tasty, but grim. I'll likely get over it. I'm with the Serious Eats fellow on this one.
More pics (all taken by A., who has some talent at these things) inside the Hall...
The Beast...



The Slaughter...


Anyone else reminded of Ridley Scott?

Nothing had to die to make this pie. Unless you count eggs. Or lemons. And wheat plants, I suppose...

Love this one...

Ready, set... Go!

Grilled to perfection...

I almost forgot the corn...

And that, Gentle Reader, is how I killed and grilled my very first lobster... Grim, but tasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment